Friday 26th October 2018 – 8.00pm. Venue & Bar Open at 7.15pm.
Kevin Fitzsimmons Quartet featuring Leon Greening
Back following his masterful The In Crowd: Jazz In The Swinging 60s show, the critically-acclaimed, powerfully-voiced jazz singer Kevin Fitzsimmons doesn’t just bring an intoxicating evening of improvised jazz singing. He also places his pianist, the incredible Leon Greening (“stands in the ranks of the greatest” – The Jazz Mann), at the forefront and beside the band’s other top-notch names in his shows.
Tonight features some gems from his previous visit, insightful re-stylings of carefully-chosen standards (from likes of Mark Murphy, Mel Torme, Kurt Elling, Chet Baker, George Benson) and some inspired new jazz arrangements of classic pop/soul recordings (likes of The Beatles, Sam Cooke, George Michael), wrapped up in a relentlessly entertaining evening that’s not to be missed.
Charismatic Kevin Fitzsimmons has become one of the most original and creative singers on the UK jazz scene, praised by jazz critics for his naturally swinging vocals, elastic phrasing and highly personable stage presence. He has stamped his own mark with two critically-acclaimed albums, sellouts at places like Ronnie Scott’s, playing the likes of The 606 Club, Pizza Express Jazz Club and venues nationwide & in Europe. His new album was presented by EFG London Jazz Festival, and he’s also sung at Birdland Jazz Club NYC, appeared at Cheltenham Jazz Festival, had a live concert broadcast on Jazz FM’s Discovery Series, entertained royalty twice, appeared with his band in E4′s Made in Chelsea and more.
- “Lovers of jazz vocal have another star to follow” JAZZWISE MAGAZINE
- “Has the most unenviable job in jazz: sounding original in the male-jazz-vocalist mould. But he’s his own man, especially when accompanied by Leon Greening” JAZZ JOURNAL
- “The way he flies freely around his themes is exciting to hear” WALES ARTS REVIEW (Wall 2Wall Jazz Festival)
- “Great to hear a proper improvising jazz singer and what a stunning band he had behind him” Review, THE FLEECE JAZZ CLUB
- “Unique interpretations, superb presence, a brilliant gig” (More Opinions: JAZZ NIGHTS
- “(Leon Greening) spell-bindingly awesome, endlessly inventive improvisations” THE JAZZMAN
- “Catch him (Leon Greening) when you can” – JAZZ JOURNAL
Visit Kevin Fitzsimmons official website: www.jazzwurx.co.uk
Tickets: £14 (UGT members £13)
Ticket booking fee may be payable on online purchases.
Want to avoid this? Then:
Buy at the UGT on Fridays and Saturdays 10am – 4pm,
or whenever the theatre is open
or, if still available, on the door.
With regret, the venue is below ground on split levels and has no wheelchair access.
A Hearing loop is available.